What Are The Benefits of Meditation?
Brain performance benefits
- Improves attention
- Gives access to right-brain thinking
- Optimizes brain performance
Physical health benefits
- Positive impact on stress related conditions
- Lowers blood pressure
- Boosts immune system
Mental health benefits
- Reduces anxiety/Improves depression
- Reduces stress of living with chronic illness
- Reduces risk-prone behavior
Other psychological benefits
- Improves emotional processing
- Improves coping strategies
- Improves social function
- The personal inner change in us as we meditate, can best be described by what St Paul called the Harvest of the Spirit. (Gal 5: 5) Love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, fidelity gentleness and self-control.
LOVE is placed first “the highest gift”. In its path we also find a new joyfulness in life, even in times of stress and suffering.
JOY is deeper than pleasure. It is found in a new taste for the simple and natural things in life.
PEACE is the gift Jesus gave us in the Spirit. It is the energy of his own deep inner harmony with himself, with the Father, and with all creation.
PATIENCE is the cure for our bursts of irritability and intolerance, and all the ways we try to possess others.
KINDNESS is the gift of treating others, as we would like them to treat us.
GOODNESS is not “ours” but we are essentially good and our human nature is godly because we are created by God and because God lives in us.
FIDELITY is the gift that comes through the discipline of the daily meditation and the mantra. For every relationship to be human and loving, we have to deepen it with fidelity.
SELF-CONTROL is necessary if we are to enjoy life in the full liberty of the Spirit. It is the fruit of the balance of meditation, the middle way between all extremes.
In meditation, we are sanctified because we are healed. The source of our being is also the source that heals us and makes us whole. The fruits of the Spirit grow gradually in us because we begin to turn to the power of love at the centre of our being.